PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERRY XMAS to all
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2008, 00:13
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
FL,

As you picked 1968 for a reference for Christmas past.....I recall my Christmas of 1968 very clearly. I was in a place of great turmoil and danger...it was Monsoon Season and the rain was pelting down. We gathered out of doors....ponchos draped over our shoulders....took a seat on top of our Steel Helmets with the camo covers....and the Padre spoke very briefly. As the rain fell, voices came together to sing the traditional hymns.

As on many battlefields before.....the refrains of "Silent Night" reminded us of the contradiction between the song and the reality of our presence in a combat zone. We as so many of those that preceeeded us....prayed for Peace and offered our praises to the Saviour for which the season is named.

Christmas 1968 remains with me till today.

Let's not forget all of our countrymen who are in Harm's Way this Christmas and also remember the family members they leave behind while serving in those far off lands.

When you enjoy that holiday meal and open those gifts.....take a moment to think of those who serve. Say a prayer for them and their families.

Merry Christmas to all.