PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 24th Dec 2008, 10:27
minigundiplomat

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
neither do the Army/RN personnel want to become part of an enlarged RAF.
An element of bolleaux about that statement. We have large numbers of RN aircrew who have transferred, large numbers of AAC who have transferred, and more from both services applying to transfer.

Most of those who have, will tell you that life is no easier in the RAF than the AAC/RN.

I cannot think of a single member of the RAF aircrew fraternity who has left to join the RN.

However, I do take offence at your repeated assertion that the RN/AAC could do the job better.

We work our nads off to ensure Percy/Royal gets to go exactly where he wants to go, when he wants to go there. The fact that we don't love rum, bum and baccy makes no difference to the service the RM receives.

In fact, in 2002 when the O Boat was cruising around the N Arabian sea looking for a port (and none would take her) to deploy Royal to a landlocked country, an airbridge from the coast was seriously considered. I know this because myself and a few of my colleagues were dragged in after the Brigadier had asked how this would be completed, and his planning staff went very, very quiet.

In the end, the RAF deployed the Cdo's headshed in an epic tranist from the international limit across Pakistan and Afghanistan to Bagram. The remaining troops had to be floated to Oman and put onto C130.

You may wish to check with Royal before you tell him what he wants!

Merry Xmas to you.