PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2008, 02:20
Bagoongathipon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've conveniently ignored the fact that there are thousands of CPL holders who have PASSED airline training.
Thats my point. Indeed there are many who passed, but there are also those who flunked airline training. Whats the reason behind this? What happens to the years and thousands of flight hours?

You also need to reconsider your definition of "environment." Everyone flies in the same weather and airspace. That's the environment of reality. I'm very worried that you would consider the ops manual that you fly under as your "environment."
HAHAHA! Ok ok, your only definition of environment is the weather and airspace. Maybe its not in your definition the "Multicrew environment?!" "Procedural based environment?! "Airline environment?!" These "environments" are some causes why even experienced CPL holders also flunk!. Now Im very worried that you would consider your evironment to be just the weather and airspace!

If I look at the logbook, and examine those 3000 hours, I may very well come to that conclusion.

Does the MPL know how to operate the Airbus or Boeing? Yes. Can the CPL holder with 3000 hours of Cessna be taught to operate the Boeing to the same proficiency standard with about 25 hours of FPD and Level D sim training? Again, yes.
Yes. You still have to examie the logbook and what kind of 3000hours did that pilot do. 2980hours of visual flight, 20hours of instrument flight, 10hours of multiengine? <-- thats even a lower level of experience compared to a 180hour instrument flight mpl training.

There are plenty of multi-crew "general aviation" aircraft. High-performance, turbojet, complex systems, type ratings required, etc. Do you think your 320/737 training is somehow superior to that? Don't know how the regs in your country are divvied up, but in FAA-land Part 135 carriers are AOC holders, just like the 119's and 121's (airlines). Do you think that folks don't have to "fly by the rulebook" in those operations? And what about the 125 operators? "General aviation" on the same equipment as an MPL.
another problem is you talk as if ALL CPL holders have these experience. How about a 500 flight hour with 20hours of instrument and 10hours of multiengine? This is a sample of a minimum requirement of an airline. These are what I am comparing to. Got the point?

CPL pilots are ahead of MPL cadets when they start training for the airline environment. MPL candidates start at 0 hours. CPL's have at least a minimal amount of PIC time. They know how to control an aircraft, and hopefully have done enough airwork and had experiences to sharpen some of those "between the ears" skills that make a PIC. Remember, there are two people sitting up front for a couple of reasons. With a PIC incapacitated, you're now single-pilot, same as the Cessna driver. What happens then when it all goes tits-up, and all of that MCC training is worthless?
Haha.. its that your definition of MCC? 2pilots flying? Ours is different. 1 or more pilots + cabin crew + passengers + ATC + hardwares + softwares. See the difference? Because you have a narrow definition of things. Just as narrow as a cessna? You are proud of you can control the aircraft and airworks but your environment is narrow.

Now dont bring out the question "What can the cabin cew, pax, atc, softwares and hardwares do when my captain is incapacitated?" That will just mean how narrow is your perspective.

Take PPL out of the equation. We're talking about CPL v MPL. And there are a lot of "commercial" and "airline" jobs that don't use the two approved aircraft. Again, the MPL, especially self-sponsored, is so restrictive.
Indeed it is restricitve. Thats how it goes when you're training specific. Just like taking up BS Bioinformatics rather than BS biology! It has its pros and cons.

Stolen from a Rumors & News thread: fear of death and destruction in making a go-around decision in hairy weather. You can simulate the conditions, but not the visceral reaction of fear.

Night single-pilot IMC xcountry into unforecast icing, with a vacuum pump failure. Pick your own instrument failure set, with an unconscious captain, and aircraft is FIKI-prohibited.

Actual determining factor for maximum crosswind velocity on landing. (Hint: It's not in your flight or ops manual)
You are too proud of these conditions as if all CPL has already encountered these in real life! I can count 20 pilots who hasnt. Heck, I even know of a 20,000hour captain of an airline hasnt encountered these! So dont give me these conditions because, when it comes... we are all in the level playing field!