PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT Radio Calls into CTAF - Jet* Today at Ballina
Old 24th Dec 2008, 02:11
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
TimTam I actually agree with you about first calls. When I'm operating into a CTAF (about once a week) I make calls pretty much exactly like HH said above.
but it is pretty undesirable if the RPT crew (two of them) are unable to maintain a continuous listening watch on the CTAF frequency between them. Why did the other pilot not call back?
It does happen. Normally when the crew are involved in a two-way conversation/checklist etc or if there was "two-in". I think that maybe the flightdeck of a two crew jet is busier than some people imagine. It can be continual operational banter sometimes.

As for filing on them - well, I'd rather have achat with Ops to clarify things,
Fair enough but it won't work. There are channels for these things and the only way to have the subject brought up in weekly meetings/training captain meetings etc is through these channels. If you rang ops they would say "did you file a report?" If not then who cares? Nobody.

As for leaping and clarifying someone else's calls - give me a break.
Again fair enough, I wouldn't do it unless I thought safety was at risk but if the previous transmission had gone unanswered I might ask for my own clarification of their position especially if I thought the other caller was to shy to ask twice.