PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers win right to compensation when flights cancelled for technical faults
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 23:00
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cockney steve
es, a major carrier MAY need to dot the odd plane around, in strategic spots, say 1 hour's flightradius all round to other airports they fly into...EG in the UK a "spare" could be at LHR and only the top -end of scotland would be more than an hour away,-everywhere else in the UK covered with ONE spare plane!
And what type of spare plane should that be? BA has spare planes, but it's usually an A320 which isn't much use if a 757 goes tech. And you won't get very far from LHR in an hour. Maybe Newcastle.

...all other forms of Public Transport seem to manage the logistics of their operation.
....to a far lower level of technical scrutiny and regulation.

Reserves would also take the pressure off engineering, ensuring a properly executed PERMANENT repair , as opposed to a "keep it going" one........and before anyone gets all indignant.....we know it happens!
"Keep it going" is the essence of all aircraft operation. It's what the MEL is for. Repairing everything as and when it fails is simply impractical, nor can any airline afford to have sufficient reserve aircraft to cover all the defects which occur on a daily basis.

I believe that Gloag and Souter made their multi-millions out of Stagecoach, because they KNEW the costings and therefore subsidies,.......The airline industry could learn a trick or two there.
What are these subsidies in the airline industry you allude to?

If I understand correctly, a scheduled flight HAS to take place even if there's only 1 pax
My air law is rusty but unless this is part of the new EU regs no such rule exists.