PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reporting point 2RN
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 21:42
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you imagine a GAAP being like a bicycle wheel with the hub as the airport the safest way in is for aircraft to approach along random spokes all at different distances from the hub until in sight of the controllers who can then assist with your seperation for descent into the circuit.
I am no expert here, I'm not a Tower ATC, and I have only limited experience flying GAAP, but really think you are on the wrong track. When I pick a bicycle spoke to depart on I kinda like the concept that if I pick a spoke that isn't an inbound spoke I am much less likely to encounter inbound traffic, the worst case for conflictions, with the smallest visual cross section and the fastest closing speeds. When it is time to cross the inbound track I'm at a different level, and am usually surprised at how many I see.

The current plan seems to segregate opposite direction conflictions, at the cost of compressing the inbound conflictions. Not so much of a problem at MB with 4 commonly used inbound points, more so it seems for BK.

Should consideration of such things be part of the investigation or subsequent recommendations - Go for it! Put the teeth back in ATSB!