PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 21:36
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airborne Aircrew

Surprised it took you so long to join the discussion - too busy fighting the cause over on ARRSE! Not that I am a soldier but I am sure there are many such individuals who cruise this (and that) board who would ask the question (which may be thread drift..) if

... a Gunner who, much like an infantryman, joined to "close with the enemy and kill him"
why did he join the Royal Air Force? With the main reason/task for the existence of the Regiment (certainly in the last 20 odd years) being defence of static, immobile Air Bases and its immediate surroundings (granted there is a small percentage that are now part of the SFSG [or whatever its latest name is]) aren't your gunners (of all educational levels) going to be VERY frustated at the task given (when they discover what it is)? And how did all those posted to Rapier/SHORAD units reconcile with the lack of "closing with the enemy". Enemy closing on them perhaps ....

Don't get me wrong - I think the Regiment do a very good job of what is expected of them. You are also right to say that the Army and the RM would not want to cover your role if you were disbanded.

Not after a flaming session - this is more out of curiosity (and education!)