PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT Radio Calls into CTAF - Jet* Today at Ballina
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 14:14
QF2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I just meant that for instance if you were at waypoint WE, your approach would be roughly from the west, if you were at waypoint SB, your approach would be roughly from the south and so on. So you'd have a rough idea of where the aircraft would be no matter what airport you were at. Likewise for the distances of the initial approach fixes, they will be roughly 15 miles out, the intermediate at roughly 10 miles out etc. Although far from exact, it would mean you could work out very roughly where the inbound aircraft is without having to have an approach chart in front of you. Besides, there isn't likely to be a lot of conflict out at 15miles or so, by about 10 miles the aircraft are usually pretty much straight in for the landing runway, so you'd have a pretty good idea of where they are if they said they were at waypoint SI for runway 34 for instance.

Just my 2 cents worth, I had no idea about any of this when i used to bash round VFR, so it probably wouldn't hurt if VFR pilots were taught this somewhere along the way.