PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands war air cover
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 10:20
trap one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reinforcement

SP
I was commenting on the ability of the RAF to reinforce an Air Group for the R09 Ark Royal. As all the group was as you said not just of the Fast Pointy Aircraft type but included Rotary and Gannets, I merely commented on the ability of the RAF to reinforce the Air Group.
Yes I know that the normal compliment for the Gannet Flts was 4 A/C but I suspect that the war numbers would have been higher by 2 A/C (Speculation on my part) However, the losses that were taken down south in 82 were a mixture of AAA, SAM, and "Normal" ie Weather/Bird strikes. So even with a full War time Air Group, I believe that there would have had to have been replacement airframes and crews in order to bring her back up to a full compliment.
So although the RAF had Bucc and FG1 squadrons already in service and qualified at the time for AD (FG1 only) and (Bucc) FBA/FBS/Anti shipping the only real need would have to get Deck Qualified. Then with an AAR trail from Ascension to the Task Force as some of the GR3's did.
There were however, fewer exchange on 849 and the RAF had none in service. So any RAF reinforcement of 849 would have had to come from the limited number of Nav's that had done the 849 exchange tour. I'm not sure if there was a Pilot exchange on 849.
The Gannets may have had an easier time than the Vulcan as the AEW was not "armed". Or a certain about of political influence could have been used. Such as the "alleged" delivery of some Canberra's to Chile in 82?

Speechless Two
Thank you, for your understanding. Was not however assuming, just using the losses that were taken and the subsequent reinforcement of the Task Forces Air Group by the Replacements not just on Atlantic Conveyor but by the AAR trailing of the GR3's down to the South Atlantic.

To all, interesting no one has commented on the Kitty Hawk speculation.