PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT Aeromed
Thread: NT Aeromed
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 04:34
morno

Received 319 Likes on 119 Posts
Maxgrad,
We have KLN90B's in our PC-12's. We normally only put the runway length, runway directions, elevation, and whether it's hard or soft in the details. That then makes it appear on our EHSI in the Map Mode with Airfields selected. Helps give us a warm fuzzy feeling when we see aerodromes being displayed in our 40Nm ring, knowing we have a chance, . Don't normally insert any other details (there is the option to though). I guess I figure it's an airfield, and at a time of need (ie. no engine), then any airfield will do!

Most of the time we'd be at a decent level that would enable us to have a reasonable amount of time to get ready for the forced landing. As I said before, the autopilot is a very big help in such a situation, as you can get settled, go through everything, and get out any airstrip details you need, without the need to concentrate so much on flying the aircraft. Airfields which are in the GPS are only one's which are in our company airfield directory, or in the ERSA. So we always have at least most details on the airfield.

Should you be stuck at night with a failed donk, and gliding to an airstrip with no lights, the nurses also have a procedure which they follow (great help those nurses, ). That being, they ring up the owners of the strip we're gliding to, alert them to what has happened, and what we're doing. They can then talk them through how to set up car headlights on the strip, which will give us some runway lighting.

Wally,
Basically, if our donk fails below 1,000ft AGL, we're going straight ahead into the tree's/grass/whatever looks not too bad. Through 1,000ft though, then the PC-12 is more than capable of turning back to the airstrip. Yes, it's against everything you ever learnt flying piston singles, about turning back, but rest assured, done properly, it is a safe procedure, and you'll always find yourself high on the approach once you've finished the turn.

On climb normally though, it's just a matter of flying it as a single engine aircraft. Meaning that you climb it at such a speed that if your engine did fail, then you are able to turn straight back around, and glide back to the airfield you originated from. All a matter of risk management. Unfortunately I'm not the boss, so I don't get a choice in what aircraft we buy and don't buy, so if I'm given a single engine a/c, then you just need to minimise the risk of flying in that single engine a/c. So you do climbs which enable turn backs, you remain constantly alert to what your engine is doing, and you make a habit of getting to know as many airstrips in the area's you're flying. Basically, just fly it as though your engine is going to fail every time. Then you'll be in a better position should it ever fail, .

Reverseflow,
I'm not entirely sure where it originated from at the start (dare I say Pilatus themselves as a guess), but I'd say our section got it off Central Section.

morno