PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reporting point 2RN
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 03:04
DIVINE WIND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an ex-pat who has flown in both countries. I have not read all the replies.
This could have happened anywhere. Sorry Oz, but we don't cut for efficiency. In making that comment I place no blame on ATC for the accident, but simply point out that busy environments are sustainable in GA. I know Bansktown is busy.
Are bankstown controllers able to provide radar seperation? I don't know.
VFR advisories are a great thing. I know you probably do not have the same radar saturation at home.
The US is busy, crazy compared to Oz actually and makes for an easy target for verbal assaults, but if you look at the movements that contollers make, the record here is good.
If I get flack for this fine, but critics note: How is it in The Northeast USA you can get three Class B airports within 20nm of each other with at least half a dozen Class D & C airports within another 20nm while handling VFR jollies squeezed betwen three Class B airports all worked into the system.
I hope user pays never happens in the USA, but I feel it is inevitable.
Why have so many been so stubborn in preventing the change in Australian airspace?
Webins has made points I agree with. Two Instructors who were busy at the time, tough job.
We need to more open minded about this in Oz. we have been wrapped up in our "safe record" for years. It is safe, I don't deny this, we are well trained pilots in Oz. But combine the Training in Oz with the USA's airspace, the exposure in pricless. How many pilots in Oz are encourged to get IFR rated, not as many as the USA! Pilots here are encouraged to use technology, especially with G1000 equipment becoming standard. Training should be a mixture of both. We are multi-taskers.
There is no shame in having technology save your life because your eyeballs missed something. Otherwise what is the point of progress?