PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood in Urine
Thread: Blood in Urine
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 00:15
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blood was found in my urine on medicals from time to time

In the end the CAA insisted I had a biopsy performed on the bladder. The biopsy came back with zero which was a relief.

However 10 days after the biopsy I started to pee blood (Diluted of course) I I was told not to worry and contact them if things got worse. (you can't make it up can you!) The blood stopped for a few days.

On a flight from LHR to BRU I went to the loo only to find that having a pee was not happening. I tried harder and then sprayed the loo with a mixture of blood etc.

After operating back to LHR I contacted the docs who sent me to hospital. They discovered that I was (and always have been) a hemophiliac. Only mildly in that 'factor 8' was missing or not working correctly.

The fact was the medical found the blood in the urine which was caused by the hemophilia. The biopsy caused a bleed which would not heal by its own. The bleed was cured by an infusion of something or other by a drip. All very clever stuff by the Docs. Well done.

The CAA told me that had they known I was a hemophiliac they would not have issued me with a license in the first place, but since I'd been flying for 34 years that would be OK then. Whats all that about? I'm hardly likely to bleed to death on the flight deck just because I looked at a plastic knife am I.

Anyway tis a funny thing that I have discovered this condition and several others over the years that have had some quite serious effects on my life. Anyone ever heard of HALB27? Got some issues over that one.

Keep well my friends and seasons greetings.

Regards
Exeng