PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 21:50
pattern_is_full

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
@SkyKen - you are correct, however I was basing my comments on the winds quoted by the approach controller (not ATIS or METARs) audible over the aircraft radio, which did have a TW component (220 @ 20) - but clearly the winds were shifting from moment to moment on a gusty evening.

(I've had winds swing 110 degrees from a quartering headwind to quartering tailwind in the time it takes to flare a Skyhawk).

Regarding the photos in posts #80 and #73: DIA's rways and taxiways are generally built up on berms from the surrounding terrain. So where the path curves after runway departure the plane was tipped to the left running down the runway berm at an angle, then across snowy field stubble, then it ran up a berm to taxiway WC, became briefly airborne shooting over that berm/taxiway, then touched down again and skidded across the firehouse road and into the ravine.

I.E. there would have been a couple of substantial jolts each time it crossed the paved areas after leaving the rway.

Which of course has little to do with the cause of the accident, but may clarify what fell off, or broke, and when during the ensuing "sleigh ride" through the snow.