PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 21:19
SFFrequentFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faulty tyres?

CNN has just posted this article about the possibility of there having been a problem with the landing gear or tyres:

Source: Landing gear, wheels, brakes possible cause of crash - CNN.com

I do not work in the industry, so please excuse my posting here, but I did want to comment that I experienced a Continental flight this past summer from Newark to San Francisco, where there was *definitely* something very, very wrong with the landing gear tyres on the right hand side of the aircraft.

I was seated near the right wing and landing gear on a Continental 737 non-stop service from Newark to SFO this past August. We were delayed in taking off due to "mechanical problems", and while we landed in SFO, the right side landing gear made a jangling, loud noise that both myself and the passenger next to me noticed. The aircraft bounced a bit more on the right side, as well.

While we were taxing into the airport, the tyres/landing gear also made a super loud squealing and griding noise, so while I was disembarking the plane, I mentioned to one of the pilots that the right tyres were making a "racket". He seemed skeptical until other passengers echoed my sentiments. I have no idea what came of it, but I remember feeling like my comment wasn't taken very seriously by the crew. I'm sure they hear a lot of bizarre feedback, but really and truly, for several passengers to comment that the right side landing gear was grinding and squealing during our landing doesn't seem to be something that a pilot or crew member should just shrug off as crazy, jet lagged nonsense. I've flown countless times and up until that point, I had never heard landing gear make that kind of noise, so it was definitely unusual.

Anyway, I don't mean to bother folks on here, but I just thought I'd mention my experience for the record.