PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC9 Tug crew depart aircraft with covered up fuselage damage.
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 18:06
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Points...

I am mere SLF when it comes to airliners, but do have experience on the ground team side of development fighters inc. a lot of carbon fibre.

I agree with the earlier comment that this is a treacherous material, if it takes a hard knock nothing shows externally, but it can be delaminated like plywood inside !

When our development aircraft suffered impacts, it caused mild panic, grounding and much ultrasonic etc examination - the same goes for lightning strikes.

No amount of built in strain guages or instrumentation would convince me it's suitable for airliners, especially any one I & family are in - accept the technological / cost limits, use skilled staff & metal !

I am not in the aviation business now, and certainly not in the pay of Mr. Airbus.

As for the ground handling crew piercing the fuselages of aircraft then keeping quiet, well I agree they should be prosecuted, BUT - while I don't know the position of the damage, on the face of it this doesn't say much for the aircrew walk-round ?