PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 17:31
Carbon Bootprint

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks to jburke for posting the link to the Newsweek article. Unless I've missed it in an earlier post, the article is the first reference I've seen to the flight deck crew being injured. It states "the pilots" were the most seriously injured. Any word on their condition?

I have to take some issue with the survivor's account, particularly the section stating "The inside of the plane so orange with firelight that I could see the destruction—the overhead baggage compartments destroyed and pieces of plastic hanging down, wires everywhere and the acrid smell of burning plastic and jet fuel suddenly thick in the cabin."

I question his actually seeing this since by most accounts, the evac went smoothly and quickly, and interior fire damage was only reported by emergency crews. I suppose it's entirely possible that the survivor's lead paragraph may have been "massaged" by an editor, but unfortunately this apparently has the knock-on effect of being picked up by all the other media outlets -- such as the breathless CNN reporter who keeps repeating this almost verbatim.