PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do Aircraft fy? Flat Plate Lift Vs Bernoulli?
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 13:44
RVF750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember the BAe ATP flew only because the engines generated more vibration which forced the air molecules apart above the wing, hence the low pressure and up she went...slowly.

On landing, you closed the throttles and the reduction in vibration caused you to fall out of the sky, hence the landings......

I would have thought three years of aeronautical degree studies would have got you to the point where you could teach others exactly why.

The answer IS Viscosity. Without that, you have a pointy land vehicle with wings.

A flat plate will fly because the viscosity allows it to generate asymetric airflow, the fundemental requirement to allow Mr Benoulli to do his bit.

The viscosity is the property that allows the air to seperate at the trailing edge and not come back up and join the other stream in the opposite place to the separation point at the front. I think....

How the air gets up and around the front of the flat plate is the bit that I can't figure out......we didn't get that far in Principles of Flight lectures, though Mr Alan Smith did correct a few errors in Barnard & Philpott.

It makes my head hurt, but I got 100% and came out early so it must have been good stuff.