PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-AEXF Mew Gull - Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 10:51
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will cover the most recent posts in response to my questions, but perversely in reverse order.:
Tiger_Mate: G-INFO proved useful when building a 'skeleton' of the History and for most of the life of G-AEXF was accurate (by cross checking) for pinning down changes of ownership, but for a period during the 60's, like Car Registration Documents of the same period was accurate, but only for a relative value of accuracy!

As for straightening the picture, that has presented a interesting conundrum as for the what is becoming in internet terms a 1980 Croydon Air Show Feature (Amateur Video courtesy of .Steve Burdon, Eight Pictures from myself, plus a Scan of the Progamme for the show) keeping the pictures n their raw state has as a certain merit. However if the History of G-AEXF becomes as comprehensive at it appears likely, then a PDF Version would be logical, in which case cleaning up my Pictures and obtaining permission to publish other pictures covering the life of XF would be a necessity.

Flying Lawyer
Thank you for removing possible legal wrangles from the equation, whilst all sources I have able to find follow the same pattern: The accident wasn't Desmond Penrose fault,and it happened in the spring, the Year is never stated an therefore it could be 1985, or 1986 (Change of ownership was delayed but by how much).

Aside: When Desmond Penrose approached Alex Henshaw. It must be remembered that Jack Cross had died in early October 1981 (Whilst involved with the restoration of G-ACSS), Although not party to the Essex Aero Modifications, Edgar Percival had died in Januarry 1984 and Arthur Bage (main designer of the E.2/E.2H) was in the last year of his life. So Alex Henshaw was indeed the 'last man standing' as regards an intimate knowledge of the Pre-War period of XF.

Back of FL's Post: The agreement between Penrose and Henshaw agrees with all other sources. The date of the Accident at Old Warden I have yet to discover.

DeepestSouth:
If the publication date was 1988 then probably HAPS had the Aircraft in 1987, or my current guess March 1986.
I now know the wings were sawn off to permit transport from Booker to Squires Gate and from 1970-1972 was in open storage with little or no protection (sigh)!

Douglas Bianchi's Personal Plane Services offer: ........Mew Gull G-AEXF ex ZS-ASM, winner 1938 and 1955 King's Cup races and holder UK-Cape and back solo records 1939 - now HAPS machine.
Now that is interesting. I would be grateful if you could tell me where that appeared and a date?

Kenneth Munson's book 'British Aircraft' (Ian Allan) of 1963 lists XF as owned by JEG Appleyard. No photos or other info.
They were quick off the mark as James Appleyard only acquired XF from Fred Dunkerley in October 1962.