PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-AEXF Mew Gull - Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 00:34
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the Penrose Crash being in 1985 a Insurance/Legal delay makes sense.
I can't now remember if there was insurance involved but there was no legal wrangle between Desmond Penrose and Tom Storey re the ditch incident.
General consensus was that the drainage ditch was inadequately warned and inadequately marked but Desmond was pilot in command when the accident occurred - during a trial flight with a view to purchasing. The Mew Gull was badly damaged and needed major restoration. He had to decide whether to repair or buy. He bought.

I discussed the matter with Desmond, but only informally - everything being settled amicably between them. If I'd acted in a professional capacity, I'd have a record somewhere and be able to give a precise date. Sorry not to be able to help.

If I recall correctly - this was more than 20 years ago:
Desmond's initial intention was to restore it back to its standard Percival mode, not to the Cape configuration because of the extra expense involved. However, after discussion with Alex Henshaw - the only person then still living who had knowledge of the modifications for the Cape configuration - they reached an agreement whereby Desmond would fund the rebuild up to the amount it would cost to restore to the standard Percival spec and Alex would meet the costs beyond that. Alex agreed to oversee the project and guarantee the accuracy of the completed aircraft.
I assume, but don't know for certain, it was then restored to Cape configuration under that arrangement.

Desmond's first post-restoration flight from Old Warden was satisfactory apart from a few minor problems. However, during a subsequent test flight he had an engine failure and had no option but to force land in the best of a choice of fields all with standing crops.

Alex's view was that if you had an engine failure in the Mew Gull you shouldn't expect to survive. However, Desmond was an exceptionally able and experienced former test pilot and landed safely. Unfortunately, the crops clogged the spats and the aircraft flipped over.

The Mew Gull was rebuilt yet again, but this time not in Cape configuration.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 22nd Dec 2008 at 00:49.