PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 21:08
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
I must say that I'm sure that MGD is very much in the minority in the Chinook force that I spent a fair bit of time working in/with, both during my last tour in the RAF and during my many years on TSW.
Whilst as in all branches of the military there are a few nobbers in the RAF Regiment (thankfully mainly in 2 Sqn for ease of avoidance) the majority are as hard working and well-trained as any infantryman (though perhaps not as any Rifleman ;o)) I have ever met, though unlike infantrymen they understand that a helicopter is not just a Land Rover with a fan on top and might require a bit more protection/respect.
The RAF Regiment staff on TSW were perhaps the best I've ever known, having the patience to turn a light blue stacker into someone who wouldn't require the constant sheparding of one of their squadrons whilst deployed somewhere dodgy and often these days, sandy. A task that is not always straightforward.
My hat is doffed to those fine chaps who keep the sky safe for those big, fat easy targets to land at foreign airfields and have that unenviable task to train tradesmen to have a slight resemblance to servicemen.