PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typical Hours to complete IMC Course?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 18:48
Shunter
Upto The Buffers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SkyCam - you are entitled to your opinion, however you will find yourself in the conservative minority. I have regularly used my IMC rating to take off and land in minima without issue. Whilst of course the desired objective is to cruise above cloud, without airway access this is not always possible and one has to assume this will occur as a worst case scenario. I've flown for extended periods in solid cloud due to Class A above me, and been perfectly happy doing so. An autopilot is of course a substantial aid in such circumstances.

If I'm current and comfortable I will happily use the rating to the limit of the privileges it confers. Some are not happy doing this, that is of course their choice.

By the way, the minima are NOT 500/600. That is a RECOMMENDATION. I have a clarification letter from the CAA pinned to my kitchen noticeboard affirming so.

Incidentally IO540, most IR tests these days use autopilot and GPS. Sure, you have to hand-fly the important bits, but all the examiner is looking for a good, safe flight - not a superhero.