PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 11:06
minigundiplomat

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
Right,

it's Christmas and this will be my last post.

What are the RAF Regiment for?

That was the poster's question, and a perfectly valid one. It is only by constantly questioning and evaluating that we evolve as a society. The military should be no different.

Another thread highlights CAS's intention for the RAF to absorb the AAC and FAA. Ithink this is wrong, but welcome the debate.

All trades and branches need to question how they do things, and whether they could do them better. I may not like someone suggesting that crewmen could do things better, but I would welcome the debate, instead of stifling it.

There have been threads on disbanding the RAF, with lively debate from all three services. What goes around comes around.

The fact that members of a trade have died in pursuit of their duties should not be used to stifle debate, otherwise Aircrew would be in an unassailable position, and we know they are not, nor should they be.

I find it rather puzzling that people who have used this as a stick to beat any debate to death in this thread are willing to make statements such as

their own personal Loadmaster to carry all their badges

Quite a few Loadmasters have died of late, and many more NCA. However, there have been no cries of 'foul' from the aircrew trades, as they know it is immaterial to the debate.

It does display double standards though.

Finally, I did say in my first post that some were 'clinically brainless', and anyone at a secret Hampshire airbase can instantly think of a role model. I also said some were fantastic, again, anyone can think of a role model for that statement.

Differing experiences will produce differing opinions, all of which are equally valid. Expressing those opinions results in debate, which in turn assists the process of evolution.

You can post any reply you like to this post, but I won't read it as it's Christmas, and debate seems to have gone out of fashion here.

Al R - If you really have to have the last word, make it a positive one.

Merry Christmas to all, especially those in-theatre of all services and trades.