PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 08:33
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget said: Calm down Al, calm down. It's a joke
I am/was calm (wasn't trying to find a parking space yesterday though). I am all up for the craic but Minigun's mawkish efforts to deflect criticism, and to justify his hamfisted 'humour' merely compound his idiocy (just as they did in the discussion about military homelessness the other week).

When we drank a few beers the other day for those 'of us' who won't be seeing Xmas this year, we didn't consider whether or not they were 'in the majority' who were 'clinically braindead'. We remembered them for the fact that they died (in possibly, the same theatre that Mingun derived his opinion) so that he could sleep safely (in order to do his job) and then come back safely to exercise his 'right' to snipe at them from the anonymity of a messageboard. Yes, he does have that right.. but the fact that he feels the need to give in to this overwelming urge, especially at this time of year, marks him out as an individual of true distinction. I wonder if those who quietly protect him in theatre know with how much contempt he regards the majority of them.

Minigun said: .. clinically brainless and full of their own self-importance. I can't take anyone seriously when they sign off with 'Per Ardua'.
Yes, I signed off 'Per Ardua' because I'm proud of my time in the RAF Regiment, and I know what an asset the RAF has on its hands. The UK has no other regular infantry organisation which has spent every year since the end of WW2 on Active Duty at some place somewhere in the world (I think the Royals took 1967 off), and no other infantry unit with such a richness of skills, maturity, experience and ability. Knowing and saying that might mark me out in your book as being faintly ridiculous but on the plus side, I don't think I ever felt the need to walk around with a badge on my arm telling everyone how many hours I spent doing my job either.

So, to put you back inside your comfort zone I've worked something out for you. In the average tour, a 21 year old 'clinically braindead' gunner on his first tour can get posted these days with a 6000 hour badge. As for anyone (clinically braindead or not) who does over 20 years, well.. they'd probably need their own personal Loadmaster to carry all their badges. And no, I don't need Wiki to confirm for me that you're punching above your weight when you're trying to be clever or funny. The people you work with could probably do that for me far more easily.

Per Ardua Minigun, and Happy Xmas. Stay safe.

Al.