PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 04:18
dublinamg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think it's all sorted on the Shannon-London front. A quick check of the Aer Lingus website for July shows the traditional 0650-0800 departure to Dublin gone along with the 0850-1010 return flight to London but there is still a departure to Dublin at 1115. Guess thar plane will be heading to Shannon so. Also the 1910 departure to Dublin is missing after an arrival at 1815 so expect that plane is headed for Shannon too and returing to Heathrow to overnight. Morning and evening Shannon service delivered - matching MOL's promise.

Net effect for Dublin flyers is a cut from 13 to 11 daily frequencies with the first departure to Dublin an hour later at 0745 but still in Dublin for 0900 and the last departure from Dublin at 2015 instead of 2115. Probably a price worth paying in these difficult times to deliver 2 daily returns to Shannon and with Gatwick going up to 6 a day from a 4 a day - no loss in seat numbers to London from Dublin. Wondered if they would switch an A330 to the LHR second service to compensate for the drop in flights but seems not with just a 50 minute turnaround in LHR.

Anybody know if ground handling is being kept at Shannon following the latest agreement. If it is that's a problem as there will be a Shannon arrival at about 2030/departure 2115 when the previous flights will be departing at 1315 to Boston and 1330 to New York. There are no other EI movements scheduled after that at Shannon apart from this LHR service.

At this rate it would probably be worthwhile for them to add a middle of the day frequency from LGW as well.

I hope EI suceed in LGW and I think they just might. They are now well established as a high quality low cost and could win customers from the other operators as their prices do seem low. Even 10-15 years ago ther might have been a resistance to an Irish carrier setting up as a serious operator in South East England but I think times have changed and passengers are lead by fares and service to a secondary extent.

The routes are a good mix of guaranteed high demand - like Malaga and Faro - 3 per day to Malaga is alotof capacity but it can generate almost the equivalent of that from Dublin and gaps in the market like Zurich and Vienna. I was only a kid but I remember seeing LGW with BCal/Dan Air and Air Europa through the years operating extensive European networks from LGW. EI is already Number 3 at LHR so where will it be at LGW Number 4/5?

Good to rad that extra planes are on the way as it would be a shame to see services cut in Dublin or elsewhere to deliver the frequencies at LGW. I'd only seen 1 extra aircraft for delivery in 2009 so feared Dublin would be cut but seems not.

Personally. I have a preference for EI over FR but in fairness FR revolutionised EI and turned them into a competitive and viable airline. I would fly on either of them but hope they stay as two separate airlines fighting it out for the customer.