PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 22:46
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmoisine:With respect h&s, are these your own thoughts or just regurgitated Ryanair press releases? The only ones I have heard make such unconditional claims are Ryanair and Boeing. If it is true why did Easy go with Airbus? What facts do you use to make this claim?

If I could add to this dispute!! Ryanair had agreed to buy airbus, and MOL got airbus to fax through a copy of the price per Airbus aircraft as was agreed wiht Airbus. He then sent it on to Boeing. MOL wanted Boeing so any pull he had to get the best price he used it. He gave the 2 fingers to Airbus and got his knock down price on the 738 believed to be about 40% off and the standard 'book price' of a 738, (said to be $58Million,not sure of this).

Airbus were not happy and this led to them making sure that price was right for EZY. Easyjet had similar prices from Airbus and Boeing and to clinch the deal Airbus agreed to pay for all conversion training of Boeing 737 pilots. At this rate Easyjet had there mind made up and I believe that Easyjet wanted something different. The Airbus 319 that Easyjet have was specially made for Easyjet with more seats than any other airbus 319 to date, hence the extra 2 emergency exits (overwing) (8in total). This was an easyjet idea!!

Few actually know which aircraft has lowest seat costs. I would be led to believe that Ryanair is lower seat costs as there are many more seats to cover the overhead ie 189 v 156.

It is all very well and good comparing the operating efficiencies of a 738 v a 319 and it makes for interesting reading, but this is all fine assuming the aircraft is full? I believe and have often said this, the 738 is too big for many FR markets and despite the 'model' there are many occassions where Ryanair could attract much higher traffic on thinner routes with a smaller aircraft (ie at higher frequency and tap into business traffic). Surely this is a cost to the business???

Last edited by EI-BUD; 20th Dec 2008 at 23:46.