PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attaching things to Cessna struts
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 22:07
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no cinematographer. I can barely take a picture with a disposable camera...but I've flown photographers who have had their work published, and have done it for law enforcement and such work.

A light airplane as a camera platform is easily displaced by turbulence, and consequently without a gyrostabilized platform, the picture taken is only as good as the camera, mount, and obviously the platform...the airplane. Slower flight works best, and any speed adjustments necessary can be processed through the film speed at a later time.

Make sure that when filming, one person is responsible for nothing but the safe handling of the airplane, and the other for shooting. It's too easy to focus on the subject and end up crashing the airplane.

Pick the right aircraft for the right mission; not all are interchangable. A helicopter may be right for some shots, the Cessna for others...a modified lear for others. Use what's appropriate for the mission at hand.

Remember, like any low altitude endeavor, there is no flight which must be made, no shot which must be taken. Always be ready to defer, delay, or say no, or change the way things are being done at any given time in order to be as safe as possible.