PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 90 Years of the RAF - BBC2
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 18:46
goofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's to be expected that a programme with this title would disappoint at least as many as it pleased. Judging by this thread, it plainly touched nerves all round. So it should. Beyond the closed circle of crab-anoraks it has received justifiable plaudits as an attempt to capture the complex emotions aroused by death-from-the-sky.

This was never intended to be the last word on the RAF. But it should surely be seen as an honest contribution to the media history of the service. Moreover, I'll bet it's done more not less to raise the profile of Bomber Command and its justifiable claim to national recognition. The Producer (known to me) applied a commendably objective perspective and the result - to my very pro-military eye - enhanced rather than diminished the RAF's claim on intelligent people's support.

And, for better or worse, intelligent non-military licence-payers are the ones we have to reach. This progaramme helped the process and should be welcomed accordingly. We need more of this kind of thought-provoking TV coverage, not less.