PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 07:36
west atc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had one 2 day break in the last month and a bit, last fortnight period did two full O/T shifts and asked to work all other days off( can't wife works and kids on school holidays), came in early to cover and stayed back late on rostered shifts.
Was asked to return to work after 10pm finish last night to start at 6am this morning (8 hour breaks are acceptable and not fatiguing) on my single day break. Was then asked to start at 4am tomorrow and Monday before starting double night shifts on Monday night.
What staffing crisis, everything is wonderful problems were all solved at the end of August apparently.
I have been there and know that it is easier said then done, but the simple solution is to say "NO" to any overtime request that is affecting your home life or health. Working so much overtime is only benefiting the company, sure the money is nice but it is a short sighted view to do too much overtime purely for the money.

Max1, I know from the history of your posts that you are not one of "those people" but I would be surprised if the same old suspects on each group are not working incredible amounts of overtime just to keep the place running.
The longer these people keep working the overtime, the longer this is going to drag out the current situation.

And before any trolls in the AWB think I am advocating industrial action, bear in mind that there is HUGE difference between "reasonable overtime" and the amount of overtime that some of these people are doing.