PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR in VMC
Thread: IFR in VMC
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2008, 03:17
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calm down lad, nobody is saying that, all I'm saying is that our VB73 Captain flies 95% of every flight soley by reference to the instruments, scanning scanning scanning, so if he logs 2hrs on a gin clear day who cares? He has probably done 20 hours in reality.
Nice one but surely you are not serious? 737 takes off and rotates (QF or DJ) autopilot quickly engaged at flaps up speed. Time totally on instruments (with full peripheral reference if visual) while hand flying on autothrottle and flight director (say) four minutes. Rest of flight "scanning, scanning, scanning" chatting to F/O about latest union bitching, women, reading newspaper, scratching balls, looking outside in clear gin weather, fiddling with CDU and maybe even radar, making PA's, chatting up female or male flight attendants, depending on your personal preferences, and in between glancing at flight instruments out of nothing else to do - but always he says "scanning, scanning, scanning....!!" Rubbish.

On final - maybe two miles from touch down if you are daring, announce disconnecting autopilot but leave FD on and maybe deselect speed on AT and press stopwatch to time actual hands on flying. Lets be generous and say four minutes of half automatics and half hand flying. Total time of hands on flying for whole flight eight (8) gripping minutes when the life of your passengers are in your hands.

So who are you kidding when you say the captain/FO of a typical B737 airliner flight in Australia spends most of his flight scanning, scanning, scanning. And after landing he says to the data input processor in the right hand seat "Hey! Maaate - put me down for two hours I/F wilya?"

Having observed some of these aces in the simulator struggling to fly wings level hand flying raw data, then their hours and hours of "scanning, scanning, scanning" hasn't improved their "scanning".