PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay-to-fly wannabee damages Thomas Cook Airbus
Old 19th Dec 2008, 23:41
Touch'n'oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree with the 'pay and fly' approach to getting into the RHS of a jet, but the fact is it is here to stay. Furthermore, I do work with some of these guys and they all perform to very high standards.

The most notable part of the report was the consistent under performance of the Co-Pilot through out his training:

"However, it took him two attempts to pass the CPL skills test, and three to pass the IR test."

"The co-pilot’s ninth training detail was scheduled as the Licence Skills Test (LST) for issue of the A320/321 type rating, but the co-pilot did not perform satisfactorily."

‘initial landing OK but [the co-pilot]could not subsequently stabilise the aircraft on approach after going visual…..below 200 feet he allowed the nose to rise leading to a steep descent just prior to a hard landing. Three attempts with no improvement.’

I think this needs to be a lesson in when to tell someone that this career is not for them. It is clear that the writing was on the wall and he should have been chopped.