PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay-to-fly wannabee damages Thomas Cook Airbus
Old 19th Dec 2008, 20:35
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just cannot teach "feel," when some guys have it from the beginning but some have to learn it for themselves through hours of experience.

I have flown with some guys who were really good with procedures and numbers, much better than me. One glance at a plate and they had it, where I really have to concentrate.

"Feel" stuff, though, some of these guys must have butts made of solid mahogany because they just don't feel a thing! Flying for them can be an intellectual exercise but landing with a wind shift can be anything but that!

I simply mean by "feel" that wonderful way humans have of picking up manifold subtle cues to apply them without conscious thought. Some of us, the really good pilots, have it all, intellect and feel. Most of us have more of one than the other, still enough of both to be safe but sometimes there can be problems in the learning phase, as here, it seems.

I hope this FO gets the remedial training he needs and carries on to be successful; I don't think you can blame him, really, for getting wrong under the circumstances. It is pretty clear from reading the report that more attention should have been paid to sorting out his landings before things went too far.