PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the Crash test rating for this then?
Old 19th Dec 2008, 19:53
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what the empty weight of the prototype is, and whether they are able to carry a pilot and a legal minimum of fuel with it. According to the development schedule on their website they should be air-testing the prototype just about now.

If I look at the specs, they closely resemble the Europa, which is also powered by the Rotax 912S (most of them anyway). A "normal" Europa weighs in at about 350 kg and has a useful load of about 270 kg, for an MTOW of 623. This contraption has an MTOW of 600 kilos and claims a useful load of 250 kilos, so its empty weight should hover around the 350 as well. A lot of other number are equal as well, although the Europa cruises marginally faster at 75% power.

Now imagine a Europa, which is a reasonably aerodynamic and reasonably lightweight design. Then add a roadgoing suspension, steering, brakes and wheels, add a clutch system to disengage the propellor and drive the wheels, add foldable wings plus the associated controls, add safety certification, add bumpers, crumple zones, a passenger safety cage, airbags, foldaway license plates and just a tiny bit of sound insulation, all without adding any weight or sacrificing performance.

Sorry, my imagination just gave up.

Last edited by BackPacker; 19th Dec 2008 at 22:17.