Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 17:52
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI-BUD why would a BHX base be lunacy?
...DAZA

Hi Daza,
Thanks for your reply. The reason why I think Aer Lingus choosing BHX would be lunacy is because 1. FR would follow them onto each market almost immediately. 2. Going to LGW does offer some protection from FR competition as it is unlikely without opening a LGW base FR would be unlikely to join EI on the same routes. 3. Flybe is well established at BHX as is bmibaby. I think that BHX will be a very tough market in the coming few years. Not assuming that LGW will be a piece of cake!

My view is that if Aer Lingus has been able to manage competing so closely with FR at Dublin in particular they will be well able to manage against EZY and BA at LGW. I still think that the transatlantic is the market that EI are after.

Finally, just your comment about BFS. It might seem like a bad choice, but the reality is that the EI brand is alot better know in NI than other UK markets I would say. Besides I think that EI picked BFS based on the level of business that they got from NI customers and customers in the border areas too.

No offence meant to BHX airport, one that I actually like using, I just see for EIs specific situation an airport such as LGW with limiting factors (ie slot availability) is a far safer bet.

EI-BUD