PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 12:32
hval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?

As one does on Friday afternoons I was reading Arrse where there is a posting in which the majority of people were being extremely rude about the R.A.F. Regiment. I disagreed with much that was said, but it got me thinking. What is the role of the R.A.F. Regiment? I had always assumed that it was “to defend airfield and the assets that go with said airfield”.

I have got to thinking about the matter. Not deeply, but I did start. The more I think about it though, the more I wonder how correct/ accurate I am, and how much has the R.A.F. Regiment role changed since the 1980’s. Am now going to ask a number of questions that I hope can be answered, and shall also make some comments.

1/ Defending an airfield obviously requires deployment away from airfield (e.g. ground to air defence). Up to how far away does this deployment take place? Also this deployment and any replen will necessitate defending. Routes to provide replen will require defending. Position changes will also be needed. This seems to mean that the actual “airfield to defend” is not the airfield at all, but the airfield and much countryside.

2/ Are any materials that are required to be delivered to the station considered as assets that require defending? E.G. POL, food, munitions. If so, at what stage do they become defendable by that station? What about the depots where the materials are stored? Or even the vehicles that are used to deliver them.

3/ Any roads or rail tracks that are required for replen? I presume these must also be defended. To what depth?

4/ Do the R.A.F Regiment utilise any persons (other than R.A.F. Regiment members) at all to defend the boundaries and within the station? Do R.A.F. trades that participate in airfield defence (same as used to done in Tacevals) come under R.A.F. Regiment command and control?

5/ Some R.A.F. units are currently “defended” by Civilians, the army or MOD Plod; at what stage does this situation change, and how? Or do these units continue to operate/ integrate with the R.A.F Regiment in times of need? In fact do the R.A.F. Regiment get involved at all?

6/ There is much I have not said or written. If anyone feels they have relevant comments please make them

Finally; do people consider that the R.A.F. Regiment have sufficient manpower and resources to carry out their role (as it should be). Somehow I do not think so.

I gave up thinking at this point, and have missed much out, but the brain hurted.

Thanks, and have a good weekend.