PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Jockeys what do you think?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 12:06
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sops require the PNF to use the LOC and call for any deviation(slightly left/slighty right) PF calling correcting
Without beating this one to death I offer the following.
How does the gallant PNF define "slightly left or slightly right" when advising the PF he is away from the runway centre line? Depending how far you are down the runway towards the localise aerials the amount of corrective action by the PF on the steering will change.

After all, if you have ever flown a military GCA in the old days you will have heard the GCA operator say "turn left/right (number of degrees) - not "you are left of centre line turn slightly right." In any case the last thing the PF wants is the PNF yakking away about heading corrections at the same time as other radio calls are heard to other aircraft and possibly blocking the calls by the PNF.

CRM is indeed a beautiful vague cosy word with many interpretations but surely it is within the realms of competency for a PF to scan his own compass or localiser needle to make a necessary correction. After all he doesn't need the PNF to help him scan an ASI needle in take off or landing.

Dearie me! - I really despair of pilots who seem to have lost their basic flying skills and are practically incapable of operating without a PNF prompting, hinting, cajoling, suggesting and generally doing the fly-by-mouth thing.