PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands war air cover
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 11:35
trap one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the RAF not supplying replacements as easy.
The RAF already had a Squadron of FG1's and numerious Squadrons of Bucc's.Yes the Deck landing training would have been longer but Yeovilton had a full deck landing set up in operation that studes got to use before using the real deck.

The AEW Gannets would have been a problem as they were not AAR capable but then again they could have gone south on any flat space and be Chinooked over to the Ark.
Although with the Gannet aboard the requrement for the surface search Nimrod missions would have been less.

For what it's worth I would have advocated a mixture of both types. As the weather down south can stop conventional carriers from operating their normal types. However, the addition of the Shar which has when worked up a much less of a restriction placed on it by the weather.

The kicker for me though would be the Bucc, with the AAR capability the Bucc brings as a tanker thus extending the time on station of the CAP A/C be they F4 or SHAR.
Also it's Anti Shipping abilitity with Martel both ARM and TV would have overwelmed any Argentinian navy task force that put to sea.
The Bucc/F4's had dedicated FAC's that were on the Ark with them and thus would have been ashore and available.
Imagine the task that the Argentine air force/Navy would have had to do in protecting a surface group and attack the RN task group/Army-Marines ashore.

My ideal mix would have been Ark Royal, Hermes/Eagle (as Bucc/Gannet decks) and Illustrious with SHAR/Sea King.
Or as Many people have speculated if we'd lost a carrier, a Kitty Hawk CVA with F4, Bucc, E2 air wing the following year with a SHAR CVS or 2 as the 2nd/3rd Deck/s.