PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crashes at Goolwa
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 04:02
GeeBee999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It certainly wouldn't take an expert to agree with the police officer's remarks as to the flying conditions on that day.I would suggest that winds were gusting to 30kts + from the NW.
I,along with a friend,were standing by the runway watching the various aircraft landing when the Tiger began circling and getting ready to land to the north on a north/south strip.We knew this was going to be interesting,because of the difficulty experienced by other plane's landings earlier.She was on final and yawing considerably because of the crosswind from the left,but still the pilot was doing a magnificent job keeping her under control.He was stuck between his Tiger wanting to fly,and him wanting to land.He managed to get his port wheel to touch a number of times,but she just wasn't going to land.So doing,in my opinion,the sensible thing,the pilot decided to climb out,and come around for another attempt,(I would have gone home).Climbing just above stall to maybe two or three hundred feet the pilot turned 90o to starboard with the wind,(I'll leave the wisdom of that for others to decide).The turn continued on to 180o where she just tip stalled and fell.Again,the pilot did a superb job under the circumstances,but the gods weren't with him that day.