PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reporting point 2RN
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 00:52
jportzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(In another thread, an ostensibly experienced pilot whinged about the fact that he'd reported at 2RN, and someone else reported at the same time at 2RN and was nowhere to be seen. The second aircraft was eventually spotted south of the radio mast, well behind the first aircraft. The second aircraft had, in fact, reported at the correct reporting point. The first pilot was not at the reporting point, but thought he was. Why on earth the radio mast can't be the actual reporting point, so as to remove any confusion, is one of the many mysteries of GA.)
I am a student pilot (at Basair, though I didn't know the deceased), and this whole discussion makes me ask what must be the obvious to you - where IS the reporting point exactly? IIRC, there is a flashing beacon on the ground, adjacent to the tower - since this beacon is shown on the VTC, I'd assumed this was supposed to be the reporting point (my instructor wasn't quite clear on this either). This is within a half mile, if not much closer, to the radio mast. It's definitely not 2 miles south.

How is an itinerant pilot expected to figure this out given the ERSA just says "STH of TWRN" or whatever?