PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT Aeromed
Thread: NT Aeromed
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 00:51
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'CR' true there was a time recently where lack of crews was perhaps a slight issue but not anymore, few are moving on around my way these days.
And as for changing crews mid way thru a task? Well it does happen more than most would think due crew hrs exhausting. This is done where a med team is in situ (in hossy) for extended periods of time due patient complications so a fresh crew/plane can be dispatched if available.

I think that eventually we end up talking about the pros & cons of SE v Twin because of all it's differences (& that's fair enough too) but most seem to back up the safety of a SE plane in 'ideal' conditions when an engine fails. High alt, perhaps reasonable wx with a visual appr at the end of it (glide) & a well trained pilot, all good & well but we often see the holes in the swiss cheese scenario line up even with 4 engined planes & multi-crew in ideal conditions so pilot ability only helps an outcome, doesn't guarentee a thing.
The biggest issue I would have with a SE plane in IMC ops is the T/off & ldg phase/s. This is where when an engine does fail there would be little if any options to have as far as a survivable ldg is concerned. Our major cities (unlike where country strips may have an out with flat terrain) where these planes obviously fly into are all surrounded by built up areas. I've watched many a PC12 depart from our base (EN) & I shudder to think what the outcome would be if one failed at say 300 ft for Eg. whilst taking off into a 30 kts breeze meaning a turn-back leaves the A/C assuming it can make the airport anyway with a very high speed touchdown. You could even have a 'lightie' taking off right behind the PC12 for Eg. with a 'green' pilot, he/her faced with multiple R/T from the twr & stricken A/C as well as a PC12 in his/her face could make for very interesting crash comic reading down the track.
The other thing that gets me with all of this is why do we go retrieve an at times critical patient out from nowhere in the first place only to have a higher risk ( I said higher risk, that's my belief) of both killing them plus the crew with a SE A/C? I would have thought ( & that's we we have twins) that 'saving' someone ment to give them )patient) the BEST possible chance of obtaining a fav outcome, go figure?
But most sections of the RFDS use the PC12, to me that's fine, I don't fly for them..............phewwwwwwwwwwwww
Still I ain't bagging the PC12 for EG, never have as many have said great plane & probably is, but you guys know me they (SE planes ) have their place just not under my bum
Okay am sure most are tied of this, am happy to wind up, for now

Wally Mk2