PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beating the Rex Bond
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2008, 22:11
Dave Incognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

apache,

I wasn’t referring to the specific case you mentioned in an earlier post. However, now that I have read the link, as I see it, the case is based on an:

inconsistency or conflict was said to arise because the Training Bond and the Certified Agreement provided differently for the same ‘matters’
Fair enough, legally there is a flaw in that EBA ’03 doesn’t mention a bond letter and it states “matter arising under this Act”. It doesn’t change the fact that the bloke signed a document agreeing to receive training and an endorsement at the expense of the company in return for a period of service.

After all as you said:

Agreed... Fair is fair, and your word is your bond. NO PROBLEMS WITH THAT WHATSOEVER!
Would it have been different if it was simply a handshake that they agreed the return of service upon?

I would bet a penny to a pound, that you could find SOME WAY in which they have broken their end of the bargain.
I’ll say it again, if you have a problem with the company not meeting it’s obligations in the EBA, you should help sort it out for everyone, not just use it as some self justification to skip your bond.

I’m not arguing this on behalf of the benefit of the company, in fact quite the opposite . My gripe is that a lot of people sign the bond and then try to side step it on technicalities. This will eventually lead to the company believing there is too much contempt for the bond and an inability to trust new employees word. Enter the pay up front scenario which benefits nobody but the company.

I wouldn’t have ended up working for Rex had I been required to front up with a cheque for 15k on day one. I simply don’t want this to happen to young guys following in our footsteps because of people’s inability to stay true to their word.

povopilot,

I notice that you have just cut and paste that letter from the link on page one. Everyone’s letter is different depending on where Rex needs them. My location stated ‘Base - to be confirmed’. Rex has numerous bases (covering several states) which get allocated on seniority just prior to date of joining. You get asked in the interview for your preferences, then if successful you get to choose from the remaining options after they have called everyone on course (again in order of seniority).

Following that, on day one, you get a base transfer request form to submit if you are not happy with where you ended up. Certainly when I joined, if you didn’t want to live in Sydney, it was easily avoided.

Edit: typo