PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Even more Dash 8 antics
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2008, 21:52
CJ1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even more Dash 8 antics

Guys,

I've been reading an AAIB report on another Dash 8 incident at CDG which led to damage on the underside of the fuselage - I'm very surprised that noone at PPrune seems to have picked up on it.

Firstly a question - it says that the skipper did a walkaround after landing to inspect the damage and then reported to ATC. What does that mean? Why is he reporting it to them?

Also, any more details on the incident would be great. The speed dropped below VREF, and the captain admits to not reacting properly to the situation. BUT:

the skipper was ill previously to the flight, and:
The CAA Aeromedical Section stated that an effect of the illness experienced by the commander could be an intermittent fatigue that can last for 6 weeks after the main symptoms of the illness have disappeared
My main question: HOW THE HELL was this man allowed to fly a public transport aeroplane in his condition? I'm not blaming him at all - but someone should certainly have intervened on his behalf. Surely it cannot be acceptable to have pilots susceptible to "intermittent fatigue" flying public transport aircraft?

If you can answer any of my queries, I'd be v grateful