PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/Lynx all systems go at AW
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2008, 17:09
I'm Off!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DM, you are missing the point somewhat. Again - no-one has a problem with NR control due to the governors not coping. No-one thinks that there is a problem with maintaining a constant NR power on. The point is that due to the rotor design, both head and blades, the NR is extremely challenging when in a low power situation. Not necessarily power off, but low power. This is because the aerodynamic effects of disc loading has more power to increase NR than the governors have to decrease it by backing off the power. It is very easy to get into a low Tq situation where the NR is rising rapidly, and the fanciest governors in the world will not change that. The fact is that to get the aircraft down through a threat band requires a high ROD with manouevering. This means extremely lively NR at a time/altitude when the pilot has lots of other things to focus on. An increase in AUM not only results in exacerbated NR rise, but an earlier onset of disc loading and therefore NR rise. I'm not complaining about it - it is managable if the pilot is competent, current, well trained and aware. But it is hardly progress, and the governors will not help this.

And by the way, just how many advanced autos or tactical descents have you done in a Lynx at 5330Kg?