PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 18th Dec 2008, 17:00
Yeoman_dai

Location: See that little island just above France? Yeah, there...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incorrect

Soddim,

Sea Harrier DID provide the outer pickets.

Argentine forces WERE instructed to turn back if confronted by the SeaJet and a USN report DID find that almost 472 bombs were dropped premeturely to allow the A-4's to escape the CAP.

The SeaJet presence DID prevent exocet attack, simply because they were there - the main reason I will admit for their lack of use against the task force was that the task force was stationed out of range of the Etendards.

Yes, 17 bombs got through, simply because they came through 800 squadrons CAP stations, who were flying at 10,000 feet, and the Blue Fox could not 'look down' over land - therefore they missed them, and often splashed the offending A-4's once they'd already made their run.

And once again, the bombs did not fuse because they were beneath the minimum release height when dropped, not giving them times to arm themselves - and that this WAS because they could not fly higher for fear of Blue Fox pickup from the 801 pilots flying on low CAP's and the ships radar/sea dart sea slug missile systems.

This was all backed up by Argentine Pilots AFTER the war. 21 aircraft were shot down by Sea Harriers - more than any other part of the force.

I freely admit i'm 21 and was not at the Falklands, and that I've taken my information from pilots who WERE there - but I very much doubt you were a combat pilot down there at the time, so don't try pull that one either.