PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe BQ400 captain's red face!
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2008, 13:15
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As SLF I am a little suprised. I have always assumed that pilots flying hundreds of passengers would be trained and capable of flying/landing in all circumstances. Its a bit like ,say, travelling on a coach and the driver pulling over and saying "I can't drive in fog". A pilot doesn't have the option to pull over. Reading previous posts this event doesn't perturb the insiders and experts....but to a pax like me it does a bit. I realise that this seems to be a case of the paperwork catching up the pilot but it doesn't look good for the company either.
I'm off to the Far East next week, I hope my pilot will be cleared for all possibities
I suggest you don't go then

No pilot is cleared to land in
all possibities
i.e. zero vis. There are 3 limiting factors - aircraft design (and serviceability), airfield equipment (and serviceability) and pilot qualification. The latter can vary due to time on type, last sim details etc. never mind his own licence and experience.

You would be surprised how often you might be flying with a "well known carrier" and into well known airports and the aircraft is carrying a defect, or the airfield is simply not equipped, for weather below CAT1 (~200' / 550m) (or even higher - NPA). The pilot issue here is less common, but not unheard of...

Non event, but as above, maybe we need to employ spin doctors before we make PAs

NoD