PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Aircraft midair in Bankstown area
Old 18th Dec 2008, 11:47
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
The only reason it landed safely was because Ken Andrews would have "taken over".

If there had been a 20-25 year old instructor flying that plane, they would probably have crashed too!

Ken has forgotten more than most of these young instructors know!
The hell factual information is that based on? Idiotic post.

The fact of the matter is that regulations and procedures were set up by the concerned authority to make navigating via the lane and surrounding areas as safe and efficient as possible. I am sure they have taken a lot of things into consideration when setting up these reporting and tracking points. There is no reason why anyone should demand a revision of the procedures in view of this one incident.
Actually, I think there is at least one good reason, you might have seen it today? Round half 11 at TWRN? Christs sake people nearly hit each other at these reporting points EVERY DAY. The reality is that you have people coming from a huge variety of directions, all aiming for a single point in space. How can that be anything BUT 'as safe and efficient as possible'.

There is a reason places like Moorabin and Camden have a huge number of inbound reporting points.

CASA certainly has no explaining to do. They realised YSBK is a high-density area and designated the surrounding area as such. They have realased several instruction manuals and videos available free to download. It is up to the pilots to familiarise themselves with the procedures if they are not familiar with it. Even pilot who fly regularly into the area would do well to go thoroughly through the CASA publications on the GAAP procedures purely as a refresher.
I think I qualify as 'familiar' with the Bankstown procedures. You can watch all the bloody videos and read all the pretty pamphlets you want, if you've got 2/3/4/5 aircraft tracking towards one point in space, all day every day, you're going to have problems from time to time.

A good look out and listen out would have averted todays tragedy. Pilots should have their eyes peeled out on a CAVOK day like today, when increased traffic is to be expected.
eh? Listen out? You make the call at the reporting point, not before. Call me stupid but I'm fairly sure that if they hit each other at TWRN, there is a fairly good chance they got there at roughly the same time. Listen out wouldn't have helped, they would have tried to make their call at exactly the same time. Look out? Its not going to work 100% of the time, aircraft have blind spots. Low wing aircraft above and high wing aircraft below is about the best example you could concoct.

I do not agree with Dick's suggestion that more reporting points would ease the congestion and move traffic away from one single point.
Creating more reporting points would not move traffic away from a single point. Oh, absolutely. That makes perfect sense.

They whole idea is to get traffic to merge into one or two specific points where they can be expected to be found when in bound/outbound. Segregating traffic in a high density area adds to the problem becuase it calls for greater situational awareness. This is not always easy, especialy for trainee pilots who are already engrossed in other activities such as CLEAROF and navigation.
I don't even know where to start with this paragraph. WTF are you doing conducting a CLEAROFFS check at the bloody inbound point? Segregating traffic in a high density area is bad? Oh, silly me of course, we should jam them all even closer together! bleh!

I do not see any flaw in the current system expect that traffic merging into the lane from outside and departing the lane to enter ClassG pose some risk. This can be avoided by either restricting them to within the lane while transiting it so that they do not depart unless having flown it through, rather than be allowed to criss cross it, like you would in normal OCTA class G.
Its difficult to take seriously what you have to say when you construct a sentence like any of the above, I can barely make heads or tails of all that.

English , do you speak it?

Avicon: If I had to sum up your post with one word, FAIL comes to mind.