PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Aircraft midair in Bankstown area
Old 18th Dec 2008, 07:02
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like so many aviation accidents, this one is devastating and such a seemingly inexplicable, needless loss of life.

that nowhere in the USA do they have “reporting points” for general aviation aircraft to all track to (and no doubt collide) on the way in to a Class D or C airport.
Nowhere, anywhere, not even close in the USA do they have anything even faintly resembling the mess of Noise Abatement flightpaths that lie over the top of the entire Sydney area, including Bankstown, like an invisible colander filled with spaghetti either. It's combined with required, regular duty runway changes to spread the noise.

This arrangement for political expediency to "share the noise" necessitates VFR aircraft in the Sydney basin be treated like lepers; pushed out of controlled airspace and 'funnelled' to specific routes and altitudes in and out of Bankstown. It doesn't matter what airport in the USA it is, VFR pilots in the US aren't hamstrung by a convoluted mess of changing runways and rollercoaster lower level IFR flight paths for airline operations that almost entirely force VFR pilots into low level compressed "see and be hit" funnels with very few altitude options. Compare apples to apples Dick.

You want to fix the procedures in and out of Bankstown with the application of USA procedures? I don't have a problem with your efforts. But I can't see how changes at one location can be made without consideration for updating the noise abatement procedures in and out of Mascot to conform with USA practice first, so that Sydney VFR pilots have similar altitude and ATC options to those in the USA! I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by Lodown; 18th Dec 2008 at 13:52. Reason: To ensure a respectful discussion, removing some unnecessary comments which in hindsight I regard as ill-considered.