PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Aircraft midair in Bankstown area
Old 18th Dec 2008, 05:42
Clearedtoreenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously bad airmanship by the guy in the twin - he knew I was there and chose to make a deceptive call to get circuit entry instructions early. BK TWR was so busy I couldn't announce inbound until almost over the lake, and I was over-transmitted by another aircraft inbound from Prospect who became conflicting traffic for 11R, so I was given 11C.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I will assume is that BK TWR is able to see local traffic on radar - there needs to be some thought given to whether they can give advisories to avoid the sad event that happened today.
Ovation, Not bad airmanship at all. You decribe a 'normal' situation at BK, and particularly 2RN. Its best to get in just before you get there, if you can, but often you just cannot until well past. Sometimes its downright scary when you can hear a Citation or an Kingair (or maybe even a Mooney) up your bum. Closing of HOX can only make this worse and more dangerous. Radar? Ha! From what I understand, yes, the coverage is all there but due to more superb Airservices Australia mismanagement, no-one in BK Tower is qualified/able/allowed to use it. Dick is right on those reporting points and its about time them and CASA listened. Both CN and BK urgently need revised congestion risk assessment, especially in the light of the HOX closure.