PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Aircraft midair in Bankstown area
Old 18th Dec 2008, 03:36
Capt Mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having worked closely with those at SFTC and Basair, this accident is tragic and close to home as Im sure it is for many of you. Stick together and support each guys and gals, I know it hurts when its one of your own, but together you will help each other through it.

On a separate note,

I had some anxious moments arriving over 2RN in the afternoon last September, when a twin reported 2RN inbound when I was exactly over the top and about to key my inbound call. After lots of head twisting looking for an aircraft at 2RN, it was really a twin about 2 miles to the S who called inbound early.
Ovation,

you are not required, nor should you be exactly over the top. If you have a look at the ERSA for YSBK it decribes the reporting point to be the north eastern shore of Prospect or South of the TWRN radio mast. I have flown in and out of BK for years and the people who call over, north, 5 miles out, well past the mast, or at prospect over the middle of the reservoir, well to the west, the south, anywhere but the little quarry where if you look at your VTC the arrow points to. While this may have nothing to do with this accident, It never ceases to amaze me how many students (and believe me instructors) dont know the correct reporting points.

It doesnt make a difference who calls first as sequencing instructions are given once you report at 3nm/warwick farm for 11, or downwind for 29, or given earlier to avoid confusion or conflict.