PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Aircraft midair in Bankstown area
Old 18th Dec 2008, 03:28
Looking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sad day. Reform, Relocate or Write-off?

As a former instructor at Bankstown and Jandakot, taught by Ken himself, I understand how busy the GAAPs are.

When I first started flying out of YSBK, there was nothing around 2RN making it easy to spot other aircraft and sequence yourself; and if worse came to worse there was nothing to hit other than good landing areas (or YHOX). Now Sydney has sprawled and the approaches to BK are over populated areas. I don't think its such a good idea to make a/c all fly to one spot over a populated area at the same altitude.

Prospect still remains unpopulated, for the obvious reason, but as Dick said, the approaches are more suited to aid the ground to air radio operator who sits in the tower!

YSBK and all the other GAAPS do need some form of assistance. BK ATC should be able to help more. Aircraft could also be fitted with government subsidised TCAS.

YSBK shouldn't move! YSBK and the industry should just be upgraded to meet the demands placed on it this century; but I don't suppose that'll happen under private enterprise.

A tragedy indeed. Accidents like this can be avoided. How about some black spot funding for this intersection!

RIP