PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation mechanic shortage
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2008, 22:20
EGT Redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking seriously at becoming a licenced engineer, but the length of time needed and the things to complete training are so complicated and time consuming that I've elected to join the RAF as an engineer, with the chance to go into avionics aswell. Seems a good choice, with excellent training and good career prospects, the civilian world seems very bizarre in a way with EASA stamping its authority wherever it can and causing people problems!

The length of time, training and examinations required are there for a reason - to ensure only the very best become Licensed Aircraft Engineers. Well that's how it used to be but with the advent of EASA and the inconsistencies in the various National Aviation Authorities ability to interpret and implement rules and regulations, it seems anybody can get a licence nowadays.

I wish you a long and successful career in the RAF but do not fool yourself into thinking the training and career progression is good. To put things into perspective, I work alongside a civilian apprentice trained LAE who has enough type ratings on his licence to see him through to retirement. He is pulling in over £50k basic for his troubles and is just 25 years of age. I'm ex RAF and I can tell you that you have to stay in for an entire career and reach the dizzy heights of FS or WO to get anywhere near the level of responsibility/authority he holds or the pay he commands. If you are switched on and have a strong desire to succeed, you will be forever held back in the forces.